Autism Books - 1987
- Autism & Attachment
(Minneapolis, MN: Minneapolis Children's Medical Center, 1987).
101 pages; spiralbound.
- American Psychiatric Association.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-III-R
(Washington, D.C.: 1987).
Third edition, revised. 567 pages. Replaced by DSM-IV
- American Psychiatric Institute.
- DSM IV: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th edition)
(Washington: American Psychiatric Press, 1987).
This book is not about autism but is an important reference in psychological practice. Note that there have been numerous changes since DSM III which affect the diagnoses of Autism and related disorders. Telephone number of publisher: 1-800-368-5777.
ISBN: 0890420629 (paperback, 886 pages, June 1994); ISBN: 0890420610 (hardcover, 886 pages, July 1994).
- Mary Callahan.
- Fighting for Tony
(New York: Simon & Schuster, 1987).
Describes mother's experience dealing with her son's cerebral allergies & the son's dramatic improved after cow's milk was eliminated from his diet.
ISBN: 0671632655 (172 pages); ISBN: 0671644564 .
- Donald J. Cohen & Anne M. Donnellan, ed.
- Handbook of autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders
(New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1987).
Includes fairly extensive bibliographies. See 2nd and 3rd editions.
ISBN: 0471812315 (Silver Springs, MD: Winston, 757 pages).
- Richard D'Ambrosio.
- No language but a cry
(New York: Dell Pub. Co., 1987).
Copyright 1970. 314 pages. Account of treatment of a girl who was mute after severe abuse. It is clear she should not be classified as having autism as generally understood.
ISBN: 0440364574 (paperback, Dell, 1979).
- Toni Flowers.
- Activities for Developing Pre-Skill Concepts in Children with Autism
(Danville, Illinois: Interstate Printers and Publishers, 1987).
Also Pro-Ed. Due January 1997.
ISBN: 0890794707 .
- Cathleen A. Grossfield & Deborah C. Lapidus.
- Autism a Transdisciplinary View of Current Research and Methods
(Human Sciences Press, 1987).
ISBN: 0898852633 .
- Patricia Howlin, Michael Rutter, M. Berger, R. Hemsley, L. Hersov & W. Yule.
- Treatment of Autistic Children
(New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1987).
Part of the series Wiley series on studies in child psychiatry.
299 pages. Also Chichester, England.
ISBN: 0471102628 .
- Thomas L. Layton, ed.
- Language and treatment of autistic and developmentally disordered children
(Springfield, Ill.: Thomas, 1987).
ISBN: 0398053081 .
- Oliver Sacks.
- The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat: And other Clinical Tales
Includes one chapter on an autistic savant.
ISBN: 0671554719 (hardcover, Summet Books, 1985); ISBN: 0684853949 (paperback, 243 pages, Touchstone Books, 1998); ISBN: 0844665290 (Peter Smith Pub, 1992); ISBN: 0060970790 (paperback, 256 pages, HarperCollins, 1987); ISBN: 0804511756 (audio cassette, Spoken Arts, 1987).
- Eric Schopler & Gary B. Mesibov, ed.
- Neurobiological Issues in Autism
(New York: Plenum Press, 1987).
Part of the series Current Issues in Autism.
Based on 6th annual TEACCH Conference, Chapel Hill North Carolina, 1985.
ISBN: 0306424517 (hardcover, 418 pages).
- Jeanne Simons & Sabine Oishi.
- The Hidden Child: The Linwood Method for Reaching the Autistic Child
(Kensington, Maryland: Woodbine House, 1987).
The method in question is that of the Linwood Children's Center in Ellicott City, Maryland, USA. Includes many ideas and suggestions for dealing with problems and as such can serve as a reference book. Uses case studies to illustrate its points. http://www.woodbinehouse.com/hc.html
ISBN: 0933149069 (paperback, 286 pages).
- Stephen Wiltshire.
(London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1987).
Pictures by an autistic.
- M. Zappella.
- I bambini autistici, l'holding e la famiglia
(Roma: NIS, 1987).
M. Zappella is a proponent of holding therapy.