Non-Autism Books of Interest - Books for parents
- Nonaversive Intervention for Behavioral Problems.
- Nathan H. Azrin & Richard M. Foxx.
- Toilet Training in Less than a Day.
This book, generally aimed at parents of typical children, describes techniques to help potty training that may be of benefit to autistic children. It also has an appendix outlining some of the authors' experiences with children with special needs.
ISBN: 0671693808 (paperback, 198 pages, reissue edition, Pocket Books 1989).
- Bruce L. Baker, Alan J. Brightman, Jan B. Blacher & Louis J. Heifetz.
- Steps to Independence: Teaching everyday skills to children with special needs, 3rd ed
(Paul H. Brookes, 1997).
Reader: helpful to us. http://www.pbrookes.com/e-catalog/books/baker-2681/index.htm
ISBN: 1557662681 (400 pages).
- Bruce Baker & Alan Brightman.
- Steps to Independence: A Skills Training Guide for Parents and Teachers of Children With Special Needs, 2nd ed
(Paul H. Brookes, 1989).
Revised and updated, Steps to Independence, Second Edition offers a step-by-step approach for teaching children with disabilities get ready, self-help, toilet training, play advanced self-care, home-care, and information skills needed to get along in the world.
ISBN: 1557660069 .
- William G. Crook.
- Help for the Hyperactive Child: A Good-Sense Guide for Parents of Children with Hyperactivity, Attention Deficits and Other Behavior and Learning Problems
(Professional Books, 1991).
How-to book for elimination diets.
ISBN: 0933478186 .
- Joanne Cuthbertson & Susie Schevill.
- Helping Your Child Sleep Through the Night
(Main Street Press, 1985).
ISBN: 0385192509 (paperback, 246 pages).
- Jan Faull.
- Mommy! I Have to Go Potty!: A Parent's Guide to Toilet Training
(Parenting Press, 1996).
ISBN: 0965047709 (paperback, 140 pages).
- Taro Gami.
- Everyone Poops.
Original in Japanese, 1977, English translation by Amanda Mayer A book to assist in potty training.
ISBN: 0916291456 (Stinchecum: Kane/Miller, 1993, $11.95).
- Barbara Gill.
- Changed by a Child: companion notes for parents of a child with a disability
The mother of a Down Syndrome reports her feelings for the benefit of other parents of children with disabilities.
ISBN: 0385482426 (hardcover, 192 pages); ISBN: 0385482434 (paperback, 336 pages, Doubleday, 1998).
- Ross W. Greene.
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, 'Chronically Inflexible' Children
(NY: HarperCollins, 1998).
Cites examples from Tourette's & ADHD, but mentions PDD, but should apply to children with autism or Asperger's Syndrome. Reader: Very highly recommended.
ISBN: 0060175346 (hardcover, 342 pages); ISBN: 0060931027 (paperback, 336 pages, HarperCollins, 2001); ISBN: 0694521906 (abridged audio cassette, HarperCollins, 1999).
- Meme Hieneman, Karen Childs & Jane Sergay.
- Parenting with Positive Behavior Support: A Practical Guide to Resolving Your Child's Difficult Behavior
(Brookes Publishing Company, 2006).
ISBN: 1557668655 (paperback, 192 pages).
- Barbro Lindberg.
- Understanding Rett Syndrome: A Practical Guide for Parents, Teachers and Therapists
(Hogrefe and Huber Publishers, 1990).
With a foreword by Andreas Rett. Reader: The sort of book that should be a model for any writing about severely disabled people - thoughtful and full of sensitivity.
ISBN: 3456818688 (hardcover); ISBN: 0889370338 (hardcover, 184 pages, 1994).
- Sensory Integration International.
- A Parents' Guide to SI.
- Laurence M. Siegel.
- The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child, 3rd Edition
(Nolo Press, 2004).
ISBN: 1413300170 (paperback, 300 pages).
- Lawrence M. Siegel.
- The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child
(Nolo Press, 2001).
See newer edition.
ISBN: 0873376072 (paperback, 300 pages).
- Robin Simons.
- After the Tears: Parents Talk About Raising a Child with a Disability
(Harcourt Brace, 1987).
ISBN: 0156029006 (paperback, 89 pages); ISBN: 0151039631 (hardcover, 89 pages).
- Susan Strauss.
- Is it Well With the Child? A Parent's Guide to Raising a Mentally Handicapped Child
ISBN: 0385053002 .
- Anne Patterson Wildemann.
- Understanding and Managing Child Behavior in the 90's
(Future Horizons, 1993).
ISBN: 1885477104 (paperback, 70 pages).
- Jim Wilson.
- A Parent's Introduction to "Behavior Modification"
ISBN: 1885477244 (paperback, 51 pages, 1996).