Autism Books: Children's - Account or case study of a disabled person
- Charles A. Amenta, III.
- Russell is Extra Special: A Book About Autism for Children
(New York: Magination Press, 1992).
Ages 4-8. A sensitive portrayal of an autistic boy written by his father. A physician, Amenta skillfully weaves relevant factual information about autism into his narrative using clear language that children will easily follow. A wonderful book for children.
ISBN: 0945354444 (paperback); ISBN: 0945354436 (hardcover).
- Richard W. Carlson.
- Poems and Short Stories About My Brother Kevin Who Has Autism: Entertainment for Boys and Girls Ages 6 to 10
(Writers Club Press, 2002).
ISBN: 0595228453 (paperback, 128 pages).
- Mary W. Carpenter.
- Rescued by a Cow and a Squeeze
A book for children about Temple Grandin.
ISBN: 1591298806 (paperback, 47 pages).
- Kathleen A. Chara, Paul J. Chara, Jr., Karston J. Chara, J. M. Berns & Angela Litzinger.
- Allergy Busters: A Story for Children with Autism or Related Spectrum Disorders Struggling with Allergies
(Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2004).
Aimed at ages 9-12.
ISBN: 1843107821 (paperback, 61 pages).
- Martha Kate Downey, ed.
- Tap Dancing in the Night
(Phat Art 4).
Book on CD: stories, poems, and art relating to people with Aspergers. Aimed at readers aged 7-16.
- Zachary M. Gartenberg & Jerry Gay, photographer.
- Mori's Story: A Book About a Boy with Autism
(Lerner Pubns Co, 1999).
Ages 4-8. Zachary Gartenberg wrote this book while in elementary school about his autistic brother.
ISBN: 0822525852 (hardcover, 32 pages).
- Deborah Kent.
- Extraordinary People With Disabilities
Collection of biographies about 48 famous people with disabilities of all sorts. Among them is Temple Grandin.
ISBN: 0516200216 (hardcover, 288 pages, Scholastic Library Pub, 1996); ISBN: 0613544722 (hardcover, Bt Bound, 1997); ISBN: 051626074X (paperback, 256 pages, Children's Press, Danbury, CT, 1997).
- Melvin D. Levine.
- All Kinds of Minds: A Young Student's Book About Learning Abilities and Learning Disorders
(Cambridge, MA: Educators Publishing Service, 1992).
ISBN: 0838820905 (paperback, 283 pages).
- K. B. Reish.
- Matthew's Box
(KBR Mutti's Publications).
hardcover, 48 pages, http://www.matthewsbox.com
- Connor Sullivan.
- I Love My Brother: A Preschooler's View of Living With a Brother Who Has Autism
(Phat Art 4 Publishing, 2001).
Aimed at preschoolers.
ISBN: 0970658117 (hardcover, 24 pages).
- Pearl M. Wilson.
- If You Knew Nicky
(London: Angus and Robertson, 1983).
Photographs by Sandra Irvine. Also published in Sydney & Melbourne. A girl describes her autistic brother.